My mother-in-law was a fabulous cook. Whenever anyone would drop in unexpectedly at the Crossroads, she would whip up a meal within minutes. Sometimes that meal would just be a fresh tomato sandwich, but she always put her special touch on it.
Other times it would be a full meal. My husband Leo and his brother Woody, who were on the radio, would invite people to have lunch with their mother. There were actually a few strangers who stopped by and had one of those now famous, fresh tomato sandwiches.
What you need to make Pound Cake
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups plain flour (I used cake flour)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons almond or lemon flavoring (I used 1 teaspoon of each)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
Sarah always had something sweet to eat in the house. She made a great pound cake. Today I made her cake, and I know she is smiling down on us for carrying on her culinary history.
How to make Pound Cake
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease and flour your pan.
- Add the baking soda to the sour cream and mix together.
- Cream the butter and the eggs. Then add the sugar.
- Alternate adding the flour and the sour cream. Mix well.
- Add the flavorings and mix a little more.
- Pour the batter into your pan and bake 1 ½ hours at 300 degrees.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes.
I couldn't wait any longer. I cut a piece while it was still warm, put some peaches that I had put up last summer over it, and topped it off with some whipped cream.