These stuffed chicken breasts Italian style makes a quick fresh and flavorful weeknight meal but is special enough for company.
Hello friends! Today I'm sharing a new recipe with you that I think you'll love as much as we did. Recently I made stuffed chicken breasts Italian style that are so yummy!
Lately I've noticed price increases in beef, chicken, and pork. Lately we have been eating lots of chicken as it is still inexpensive at $2 - $4 per pound depending on brand.
But one of the best things we've had lately are these stuffed Italian chicken breasts!
I love Italian food and I love pasta, but what does one do when you're watching your carbs?
My answer: Make this recipe!
It has all the yummy flavors of pizza without all the carbs!
How to make stuffed chicken breasts
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
To make this recipe, you're going to need some boneless chicken breasts. Slice through each one horizontally almost all the way but leave a small amount to create a hinge.
Pour about 1 teaspoon of oil into the bottom of a baking dish and smear it around to lightly grease the dish. This is my preferred oil but you could use olive oil as well.
Place the butterflied chicken breasts in the bottom of the dish and season with salt, paper, and Italian seasoning.
You can purchase Italian seasoning in the spice section of your grocery, or you can use a mix of dried basil, rosemary, oregano, and thyme.
Next, add a couple slices of fresh mozzarella on one side of each breast. I buy my mozzarella cheese from Sams and it is already sliced. On top of the fresh mozzarella slices, add some slices of roasted red peppers.
You could roast some red peppers and use those in this recipe, but the jarred ones work great.
Now what really gives this recipe great flavor are these fresh basil leaves. If you don't have any growing in your garden, splurge and get some fresh basil from the grocery store.
Fold the other side of the chicken breasts over on top of the other ingredients and secure with toothpicks. I actually used wooden skewers that I shortened by breaking!
Add more salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to the top of each breast.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
Meanwhile, grate some fresh Parmesan cheese and place in a bowl. Mix in some shredded packaged Mozzarella cheese and about 10-12 slices of pepperoni, cut into small pieces.
Remove the chicken breasts from the oven and turn oven to broil. Top the chicken with the cheese and pepperoni mixture and broil until bubbly and browned (about 5 minutes.)
Just look at that oozing cheese! Oh, lawd! All the flavors of pizza without the crust!
Chicken breasts are such a popular and affordable ingredient. As a nice alternative check out this parmesan herb crusted chicken romano a perfect cheesecake factory copycat.
What to serve with
If you are not watching your carb intake, you could certainly serve the stuffed chicken breasts over some pasta. Other options would be to serve them with baked spaghetti squash or cooked zucchini zoodles.
But I chose to serve these on a bed of lightly sauteed spinach, onions, and mushrooms.
If you give them a try, please come back and rate the recipe by using the little stars near the comment section. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!
Stuffed Chicken Breasts Italian Style
- 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts butterflied
- 1 tablespoon salt divided
- 1 tablespoon pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning divided
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices roasted red peppers
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup packaged mozzarella cheese shredded
- 12 slices pepperoni cut into small pieces
- Preheat over 400 degrees.
- Pour 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil in a baking dish and spread around in the bottom to grease the dish.
- Butterfly each chicken breast by cutting them almost in half horizontally but leaving a small hinge. Open up each breast.
- Season each opened breast with salt, pepper, and dried Italian seasoning.
- Add 2 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese on one side of each breast.
- Layer 2-3 slices of roasted red peppers on top of the cheese.
- Add 3 fresh basil leaves on top of the peppers.
- Fold over the other side of each breast and secure the sides together with several wooden toothpicks.
- Place in a 400 degree oven and bake for 30-40 minutes (depending on the size of the breasts.)
- Remove from the oven and turn the oven to broil (high.)
- Mix together the grated fresh Parmesan cheese, the shredded packaged Mozzarella cheese, and the chopped pepperoni.
- Top each breast with the cheese and pepperoni mixture and broil until bubbly and browned (about 5 minutes.)
- Serve over cooked pasta, spaghetti sauce, zucchini zoodles or sauteed spinach.